Colas Limited have successfully completed a multi-million pound construction contract at RAF Mount Pleasant, in the Falkland Islands including the application of over 106,000m2 of the Addagrip 1000 System concrete pavement protection system. Running from March 2015 to April 2016, the contract with Interserve Defence Ltd was carried out in two phases avoiding work during the South Atlantic winter.
After receiving notification of the successful tender two days before Christmas 2014, Colas began a rapid mobilisation process of plant, equipment and materials including Colas Mobile asphalt plant and laboratory.
Phase one of the contract saw Colas repair a 40mm bump in the runway surface, install expansion joints and re-groove the runway. Phase one was completed in April 2015 and the client was delighted by the swift completion of the works.
In September 2015, Phase 2 equipment and materials were shipped the 5,382 miles to the Falkland Islands. This Phase required simultaneous construction of a taxiway strip and repair and reconfiguring areas of the main ASP.
The western access taxiway works involved the excavation of approximately 17,500m3 of soil and rock to create the required surface profile and the placing and compaction of granular fills to provide a strengthened run-off area for use by emergency vehicles. The surface of the re-profiled ground was then covered with a compacted topsoil layer, reinforced with geo-textiles and seeded to provide a FOD (Foreign Object Debris) free surface
To renovate the ASP, Colas teams removed 23,000m of existing joint sealant, repaired the pavement surface using epoxy mortar and installed new aircraft tie-down anchors on parking slots. In addition, Colas repaired drainage channel walls, removed and replaced drainage gratings and installed 930m of new concrete surrounds. Fuel resistant joint sealant was also used to seal 42,550m of joints on the ASP.
Addagrip 1000 System Resin was also applied to 106,000m2 of the ASP concrete pavement to protect, seal and prolong the life of the surface. The Addagrip 1000 System Resin which has been widely used for over 30 years is designed to penetrate and seal the existing concrete surface which is then covered with a fine aggregate applied to provide an anti-slip finish. Addagrip 1000 System Resin provides a durable and cost-effective solution for addressing the problem of frost damaged and spalled concrete pavements predominantly on airfields. The Addagrip 1000 System allowed Colas to effectively rejuvenate and seal the ASP concrete pavement surface quickly and efficiently, preventing loose aggregate from the concrete surface creating a FOD issue.
The Addagrip 1000 System Resin can be used to treat concrete surfaces on ASP’s, taxiways, runway-ends and helipads to concrete runways. -Ends-
Notes to editors:
• Established in 1980, Addagrip Terraco Ltd, part of the Terraco group of companies, is a leading resin manufacturing and formulating company, offering a range of high quality products to meet industry requirements.
Addagrip’s philosophy is to create and develop a wide range of high quality decorative and hard-wearing surface solutions, installed through a network of approved contractors, to meet project requirements ranging from commercial schemes to domestic installations.
The current product range also includes:
• Addaset, Addabound and Terrabound Resin Bound porous surfacing systems with BBA certification - hard wearing decorative paving suitable for pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Addabound is a resin bound surfacing with a minimum of 25% recycled content of aggregate and filler. Terrabound is Addagrip’s commercial grade resin bound surfacing system.
• Terrabase Rustic – as used for the Broad Walk, Kew Royal Botanic Gardens– is an innovative, patented paving system that provides a decorative and natural-looking rustic surface. It also creates a permeable, resin bound surface that is ideal for pedestrian footpaths and can be applied directly on to most surfaces and gradients, resulting in faster and more cost-efficient installation.
• Addacolor Resin Bound surfacing system for schemes requiring a splash of colour
• Addastone Resin Bonded surfacing for a loose gravel look without the maintenance issues and Addastone TP Tree Pit, along with a range of quality resin floor finishes and concrete protection resins.
• PU Floor Green Line is a Polyurethane Resin Floor with high elasticity and colour pigmentation providing a bespoke and highly versatile Designer Resin Floor Finish.
• Environmental considerations are important to Addagrip and its ongoing programme of research and development is continually striving to develop a product range that is as environmentally friendly as possible.
• Addagrip products have been used in a variety of high profile projects, including Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, Wembley, Highgate Cemetery, Media City UK in Salford, Edinburgh Zoo and Abbotsford House, Scotland.
For further product information, please visit: www.addagrip.co.uk
For more information on this media release, please contact Karen North-Row on: 01825 761333 or by email: email@example.com
Addagrip Terraco Ltd
Bell Lane Industrial Estate
Uckfield, East Sussex TN22 1QL
Telephone: 01825 761333